Friday 7 December 2012

Printmaking With Play Dough - Step Three: Printmaking By Making Impressions & Other Experiments


For my final foray into printmaking with play dough plates I decided to create prints by impressing into the play dough.  As before I used watered down acrylic paint and laid plain white copier paper on top to create my prints.


I used kitchen gadgets to create interesting patterns:





I then experimented with carving into the play dough with a pencil to create stylised tree designs:






I also created this cat design by drawing into the plate:


















Next I tried flattening the play dough around my design.  While I really like the final print it was harder to create a print without wrecking the design.





I also did the classic leaf impressions.  For this print I used a large hydrangea leaf:




Overall, my favourite prints were the simple geometric patterns since they were easy to create and printed well.  One issue that I had was bits of the play dough sticking to the paper, because of this I would use this activity more for the process than for the final product.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather

    These look great! Have you ever tried printing with modeling clay? I tried it with my 4th graders - we used stamp pads for the ink. It worked great and the kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't, thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...