Friday 18 April 2014

Art Activity - Picasso Cubist Faces


Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces


This week the rec centre's summer guide came out and on the cover are a bunch of the kids from my art camp showing off their Picasso cubist faces!


I originally saw the cubist faces HERE and thought that it would make a nice addition to my Picasso inspired art camp.  Since I don't have access to a kiln and I needed to keep my supply costs to a minimum, I used my homemade model magic recipe instead.  I made these with my older group (8-12) first and had a few problems with the faces cracking and breaking as they dried.  This meant that I had to spend time gluing them back together (not fun).  Due to this, I decided to make the same face shape ahead of time for my younger group (5-8) and had them just create the facial features. 



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces

 You can see in the face above where I repaired the large crack line-so frustrating!


Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces

After rolling out our model magic and cutting the face shape I talked to the kids about adding a line down the middle to create a view of the face in profile, making it wavy to show the shape of the nose and mouth.


Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces

After painting their base colours I invited the kids to add different patterns to further distinguish the two views of their faces.

Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces

This kid really took to adding texture to her face, with some cool results.


Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces


When making the faces use a chopstick or dowel to create holes for the addition of pipe cleaner hair.  Here are the older group's faces with some crazy hairdos:


Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces













Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces


Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces








Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces












Below are the Cubist faces of my younger group.  Even with the same face shape there was an awesome variety in the end results.


Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces



Art Intertwine - Picasso Cubist Faces








1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...